Monday, May 09, 2005

so long and thanks for all the fish

I wish college graduation could be as nonchalant as that. Well, thanks guys! See ya 'round! But no. Everybody's gotta make a big production out of it. We gotta dress up in funny costumes and listen to boring speeches and pretend to get all sentimental.

Is it so awful that I'm considering skipping my college graduation ceremony? Does that make me a bad person?

I could really care less about it. My parents aren't forcing me to go. I don't give a shit about this school, I only came here because it was ridiculously cheap; I pretty much got a free ride. I certainly don't give a crap about the town. There are people I'm going to regret leaving, of course; but I'll say goodbye to them in my own time, and besides, we'll be seeing each other over the summer anyway.

This is my last week here. It's wierd. It's certainly an emotional experience, but not for the usual reasons. Three-quarters of my time at college has been pretty miserable, frankly. The other fourth has been really great. But I'm ready to leave. I'm ready to move on and start living my life. A backyard barbeque is celebration enough for me.

Update: For a while there I was starting to lean towards going to commencement. I mean, you only graduate from college once, right? It's one of those rights of passage you gotta do, and I might regret not going.

That is, I was thinking that until I found out this guy is giving the commencement address. Senator "100% Approval Rating from the Christian Coalition". No. Fucking. Way. I am getting the hell out of Dodge and I ain't looking back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home