Thursday, April 14, 2005

open mouth, insert foot

Once again using poets to speak for me, because every time I open my mouth I fuck things up. I should just stick to writing English papers; at least that way the only thing I can fuck up is my GPA.

Lightness

It was your lightness that drew me,
the lightness of your talk and your laughter,
the lightness of your cheek in my hands,
your sweet gentle modest lightness;
and it is the lightness of your kiss
that is starving my mouth,
and the lightness of your embrace
that will let me go adrift.

Meg Bateman

2 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

lol. Thanks. I'm awfully good at bullshitting, that's pretty much what my degree really is. A BA in Bullshitting.

I think Bateman must be Irish, because the poem's translated from Gaelic. I found it in an anthology, and now I definitely want to read more of her stuff.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg Bateman is Scottish, and writes in Scots Gaelic, translating her own work for the benefit of those of us who only have the English.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home