Friday, April 08, 2005

argh

I am this close to storming the Registrar's Office and staging a bloody coup. Goddamn pencil pushing paper filing bureaucratic fascists. ::sputter, foam at the mouth::

I think I need to relax, breathe, maybe meditate a bit. And do a book meme.

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Kissing the Witch, by Emma Donoghue. A bit more upbeat than her other works like The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. Equally as beautiful and poetic as Hood and Slammerkin, but again, not as depressing. Plus it's fairy tales retold with a queer bent, so you can't beat that.
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Is the Pope Catholic? Pippi Longstocking and Nancy Drew were my earliest crushes. I had a bit of a thing for tomboy Kristy from The Baby Sitters Club as well. I am inordinately fond of the Rev. Mr. Henry Tilney and Lord Peter Wimsey. Elizabeth Bennet and Nan Astley (::swoon::) pretty much go without saying. I'll always carry a torch for Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing (especially in the form of Emma Thompson). Molly Bolt from Rubyfruit Jungle, definitely. Jane Eyre of course! She really deserves better than a dipshit like Mr. Rochester. That intrepid Literatec Thursday Next. And, at the risk of sounding creepy, the character of Death in The Sandman series is a hottie.
The last book you bought is?
Women's Rites, Women's Mysteries: Creating Ritual In The Dianic Wiccan Tradition by Ruth Barrett
I know, if I get any more crunchy I'll become a parody of myself. Oh well.
What are you currently reading?
Another Country, James Baldwin, an incredible and challenging work, especially compared to Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer, which we just finished in class [/name dropping]. Also Feminism: The Essential Historical Writings, ed. Miriam Schneir, and Written by Herself, Vol. II: Women's Memoirs from Britain, Africa, Asia, and the United States, ed. Jill Ker Conway.
Five books you would take to a deserted island?
Well the Norton Anthology of English Literature Vol. II would keep me occupied for a while. The complete works of Jane Austen, the complete works of Shakespeare, Lilian Faderman's anthology of lesbian lit Chloe Plus Olivia, and The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home