Thursday, May 12, 2005

la plus ca change...

(you'll just have to imagine a little cedille underneath the "c" in "ca" because I can't do accents on this damn thing)

So. The last tests have been taken. The last papers written. Only thing to do now is pack my things and say my goodbyes.

I find myself faced with the question every college grad must answer: What do I read next?

I'm actually not worried about finding a summer job. That'll work itself out, and I can always be a nanny if all else fails. But for the first time in my life I find myself with the absolute freedom to read whatever I want, whenever I want, without the pressure to turn it into a thesis of any kind. Makes me positively dizzy just thinking about it.

I mean, the possibilities are practically endless. I could start off with my annual Jane Austen read, and follow it up with The Jane Austen Book Club. But I could also read the books I bought in France (Colette has been glaring at me with a particularly Gallic disdain ever since I abandoned her in January); or I could save them for when I'm in Metz. I could try and make a dent in the 40+ books I own that I haven't read yet. I could finish up the Hornblower series (ooh, and start on Patrick O'Brien!). Horatians is going to have a group read of Hornblower and the Atropos, I think, which is right where I left off. Awfully tempting. Or I could finally start Gormenghast. Hell, I could even sit down and see how long it takes me to read the Sandman series straight through.

It's a fine pickle I'm in is what it is.

Anyway, I'll be mulling that over the next week or so while I move out of the dorm, back home, and in with my friend S. Posting will be sporadic. In the meantime, amuse yourself with my new favorite weblog: Threadbared.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home