Monday, May 30, 2005

Charlotte ~ Julia Barrett

BLAH.

In her turn, when her older sisters married, Charlotte, along with their next brother, Henry, soon learned to keep order at the Heywoods, if not the most perfect peace.

Good lord, woman--Charlotte doesn't have any older sisters! Austen says so right in Chapter 2! And she mentions the non-existant older sisters three more times! I mean, jeez! I give a lot of leeway to sequels, but when you're writing a continuation, picking up right where Austen's words leave off, continuity is the least you can do. And Barrett's Charlotte seems to be mostly Lizzie Bennet with a dash of Emma Woodhouse thrown in.

Look people, I love Lizzie as much as the next Janeite, but Pride and Prejudice is not the be-all and end-all of Austen's oeuvre. Christ almighty.

Not to mention her prediliction for Yoda Syntax: "Alarming this was to him." "Piqued he was".

I'm not gonna waste my time on crappy Austen sequels. Mediocre ones, yes, but not crappy ones.

2 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the "Another Lady" completion. It's not bad. It reminded me of Georgette Heyer.

I agree with you about the wasted potential...had Jane lived, the books she would have written would have given the word "genius" a whole new definition.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Yeah, the "Another Lady" version got good reviews at Pemberley, but of course the library doesn't have it. Grr. Just wait till I get a real job. I'm going to go crazy at Amazon buying up rare Austenalia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home