Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.

My roomie C and I were watching Pride and Prejudice this weekend (my super duper Special Edition DVDs), snarking on the Bingley sisters and commenting how their lovable brother was exactly like an adorable puppy dog. Every time I see Mr. Bingley I just want to pat him on the head and say "Good boy!"
C., like every heterosexual Janeite woman, is massively in lust with Colin Firth. I guess it must be one of the Janeite requirements.
I, of course, feast my eyes on the glory that is Jennifer Ehle (man, Keira Knightley doesn't have a chance of comparing with her Lizzie). So you see, Austen really has something for everyone.
But mostly, we watch it for the clothes. I could totally reconcile myself to living in Jane's England just for the clothes. All those fancy, pretty muslin dresses make my inner femme squeal with happiness, and hey, cross-dressing would be so much more fun with breeches and frock coats and top hats.

So Elizabeth is walking up to Netherfield to visit poor Jane (being ill in somebody else's house has got to suck majorly). Swinging her bonnet and jumping over mud puddles and generally being her fabulous self. Stumbles upon Mr. Darcy, who's sporting what C. and I refer to as The Coat.
"I am come to inquire after my sister," Lizzie says.
"On foot?" responds the startled Mr. Dipshit (er, Darcy. I love the man, but he's such a dork).
Then Lizzie gives him this classic "No shit, Sherlock" look and replies, "As you see."
Anyway, the whole time C. and I are exclaiming over The Coat.
C: Omigod, he looks SO HOT in That Coat! Gaaahhh!
Me: Omigod, I want That Coat! Gaaaaahhh!

Seriously, anyone know where I can get myself a greatcoat, circa 1805? It's so dashing and bad-ass. It would totally rock with the Big Ass Dyke Boots. I daydream about sporting spencers and pelisses and cloaks, but I think I'd have more opportunity to wear The Coat. sigh

(title quote from Emma, btw.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home