Tuesday, October 19, 2004

blather

via FrogBlog
Hardback or Paperback I have a thing for hardbacks, but I can't usually afford them.
Highlight or Underline underline
Lewis or Tolkien Tolkein. He doesn't hit you over the head with his religious themes.
E.B. White or A.A. Milne Milne
T.S. Eliot or e.e. cummings Oooh gosh...I'm gonna go with Eliot right now. I'm quite in love with "La Figlia Che Piange" at the moment.
Stephen King or Dean Koontz mm. King, if I must.
Barnes & Noble or Borders B&N. fuckin' Borders. they've got nothing in stock and their employees are obviously hired for their coffee-brewing skills and nothing else.
Waldenbooks or B. Dalton B. Dalton, but they both suck.
Fantasy or Science Fiction fantasy
Horror or Suspense suspense. I can't handle straight-up horror.
Bookmark or Dogear both.
Large Print or Fine Print fine print
Hemingway or Faulkner Ugh. Hemingway, but only because I haven't read Faulkner.
Fitzgerald or Steinbeck Steinbeck, no question.
Homer or Plato Homer. Give me a poet over a philosopher any day (sorry L).
Geoffrey Chaucer or Edmund Spenser Chaucer
Pen or Pencil Pencil.
Looseleaf or Notepad looseleaf
Alphabetize: By Author or By Title by author
Shelve: By Genre/Subject or All Books Together throw 'em all together
Dustjacket: Leave it On or Take it Off take it off when I'm reading, otherwise it gets all messed up
Novella or Epic well it depends on the epic, I think. But at the moment I only have time for novellas, really.
John Grisham or Scott Turow bleh.
J.K. Rowling or Lemony Snicket J.K. Rowling, though I'd love to try out Snicket
John Irving or John Updike again, bleh.
Salman Rushdie or Don Delillo excuse me, but where are the female authors? neither.
Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte Oh here they are! Good thing I added them in, huh? Both, of course!
Dorothy L. Sayers or Agatha Christie Sayers. I have a soft spot for M. Poirot, but there's just no comparison with Lord Peter Wimsey
George Eliot or Edith Wharton Eliot, she's less depressing.
Toni Morrison or Alice Walker Morrison, because Beloved is astounding and unfortunately I haven't read any Alice Walker.
Fiction or Non-fiction fiction
Historical Biography or Historical Romance biography, if by "romance" you mean Harlequin bodice-rippers. But I'm a huge historical fiction geek.
Reading Pace: A Few Pages per Sitting or Finish at Least a Chapter wait, you mean I ought to put it down once in a while...?
Short Story or Creative Non-fiction Essay short story, especially if they're written by Byatt.
Blah Blah Blah or Yada Yada Yada blah.
"It was a dark and stormy night..." or "Once upon a time..." Oh, Bulwer-Lytton all the way! "It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets..."
Books: Buy or Borrow Borrow, out of financial necessity. Sending me into a bookstore is like sending an alcoholic into a bar.
Book Reviews or Word of Mouth Reviews, actually, but only from folks like Bookslut or Green Man.

The highlight of my day was not my birthday itself, though that was nice, but finding this screensaver of critical theorists. I don't know about you but I know that as a kid I always wished I had Lego versions of literary critics; it would have made playing Make-Believe Conference of Post-Modern Academics so much easier!
I bought Melissa Etheridge's new CD today; I like it, it's good driving music. But I feel a little cliche all the same.

3 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger frog said...

Happy belated birthday! And, when you have a chance, read some Faulkern ("As I Lay Dying" made me laugh and laugh, and it's quite short) and some Walker. Both will rock your world, for very different reasons.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Hey thanks! I've got Walker on my To Read list, so I'm sure I'll get to her someday, after I finish the other 970 billion books on my list...

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

ROTF! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home