Sunday, April 04, 2004

I just got that lowdown half-alive no end too many books and not enough time blues

Ignoring, for the moment, that I don't actually have any time to read (that's never stopped me before), I'm kind of stuck for what to read next. This happens far too often. I'm putting down The Cooper's Wife is Missing for the time being; it's very good but it's scholarly nonfiction, and if I read any more scholarly work my head's going to explode. I started Swordspoint, which I know I'm going to enjoy immensely, but it's really a winter kind of book. I'm in the mood for some George Eliot Victorian triple decker stuff, probably because I just watched Masterpiece Theatre's Daniel Deronda for the second time, but the only George Eliot I have is Middlemarch and I've already read that. I've felt Virginia Woolf calling me; the weather's been so beautiful lately, I woke up with Mrs. Dalloway in my head the other day.

...what a morning--fresh as if issued to children on a beach...How fresh, how calm...the air was in the early morning; like the flap of a wave; the kiss of a wave; chill and sharp...

What a lark! What a plunge!


L has Michael Cunningham's The Hours in translation; I think it's a crime to read Virginia Woolf in anything but English, even if it is French, it just doesn't work.
I'll get my review of Daughter of the Forest up one of these days.

And because there's always time for a quiz...
Marvin
Life... I can't talk to you about life... your
life's too depressing... yeah, you're
definitely Marvin, the Paranoid Android (even
though you're not really paranoid... just
depressed). You're vastly intelligent, but you
just can't seem to find any real outlet for
that intelligence. All you do is open and walk
through doors all day. Buck up, life ain't all
that bad. Even if Henry Rawlings is your dad.


The Legitimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Quiz
brought to you by Quizilla

Stupid thing said I was Trillian twice! Whatever. I would never date Zaphod Beeblebrox, despite the cool name, 1. because he's male, 2. he's a jackass (albeit an amusing one), 3. he has two heads. Besides, I've been feeling very Marvin lately. How depressing is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home