Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The Witch of Exmoor ~ Margaret Drabble

Talk about an apt name. Drab is the only word for this book. I gave up after the first chapter. It looks like it might turn out okay in the end, but I just didn't care really. Not at all engaging. I don't have the time or energy to bother with middle-class Brits and their existential angst and demented elderly mothers (the "witch" of the title. She was the only interesting person and I didn't even meet her.) Drabble's style seems similar to her sister's, from what I can tell from my cursory reading. I did, however, get to use my handy National Geographic Traveler's Map of Britain and Ireland, to find Exmoor. I have it up on my bedroom wall; I read so much Brit lit that I like to see where my characters live and follow their wanderings.
Why, yes I am a geeky Anglophile, why do you ask?

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger ellisjardepawa said...

You cheated yourself out of a great story. Most prescient re: today's economy. give it another try.

ljardine, pt. angeles, wa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home