Monday, December 25, 2006

happy holidays

So I was roused this morning by my brother's big, ugly, drooly bulldog slobbering all over my face. It was a rude awakening, since I had someone decidedly more attractive in mind at that moment. Luckily I love that dog to pieces. Which is kinda like my family: big, loud pains in the ass, but you can't do anything but love 'em. It's been a bit like National Lampoon, let's put it that way. I think my best present this year are cloudy skies and wintry weather, a nice respite from desert intensity.

Once upon a time -- of all the good days in the year, on Christmas Eve -- old Scrooge sat busy in his counting-house. It was cold, bleak, biting weather: foggy withal: and he could hear the people in the court outside, go wheezing up and down, beating their hands upon their breasts, and stamping their feet upon the pavement stones to warm them. The city clocks had only just gone three, but it was quite dark already: it had not been light all day: and candles were flaring in the windows of the neighbouring offices, like ruddy smears upon the palpable brown air. The fog came pouring in at every chink and keyhole, and was so dense without, that although the court was of the narrowest, the houses opposite were mere phantoms. To see the dingy cloud come drooping down, obscuring everything, one might have thought that Nature lived hard by, and was brewing on a large scale.


That's my favorite bit of A Christmas Carol. I hope you're all having a good one, and drink some mulled wine for me (we don't do mulled wine here, just beer and cheap zinfandel).

3 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger JaneFan said...

I used to read A Christmas Carol every year on Christmas Eve/Day, but I've sadly gotten out of the habit. Actually I read a book of Regency Romance novellas this year!

Anyway, my favorite part of CC is when Scrooge is taken back to the night his beloved broke off their engagement, saying she'd "seen [his] nobler aspirations fall off one by one." I dunno why. I guess it's just a strong warning that a person can change for the worse gradually, perhaps imperceptibly to themselves.

Merry Christmas, and remember that beer and cheap white zin beats having no alcohol at all - trust me!

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy holidays! Hope the beerfandel is grand.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Winter said...

Oh dear, then you have a lot of mulled wine catch up drinking to do. And just wait till I make you some Wassail.

I'm afraid I didn't read CC this year -- too tied up reading Pride and Prejudice for the 25th time -- but I did watch the BBC adaptation with Patrick Stewart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home