Thursday, November 18, 2004

A word of advice

To all the straight and bi chicks out there who might be reading this:

1. Use condoms. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. I know you've heard it before but I'm going lecture you again. I don't care if it "feels better" without condoms. Too bad. DO NOT USE BIRTH CONTROL IN LIEU OF CONDOMS. That is a really fucking stupid idea. You will still get a sexually transmitted infection.

2. If you're using birth control, get it from your doctor. Get a prescription (of course, you'll have to find a pharmicist willing to fill the damn thing, but that's another rant). DO NOT BORROW BIRTH CONTROL FROM A FRIEND. I know it's hard to get an appointment with Planned Parenthood, I know that maybe your health insurance doesn't cover it, I know you sometimes find yourself in situations where it's difficult to obtain, but please, these are serious drugs you are messing with and it will fuck up your body if you don't use it correctly. READ THE GODDAMN INFO BOOKLET. It's there for a reason. Make sure you understand the consequences of putting strong chemicals into your body.

I'm telling you this because I just spent the entire day at the hospital, watching one of my closest friends (and my roommate), C., puking her guts out till she had no more guts to puke. And it wasn't until an hour ago that I learned she had borrowed a pack of birth control from a friend of ours--she has a hot date this weekend. I read the info packet. You're not supposed to take it if you have a history of migraines. C. has a history of migraines. All the side-effects it listed are exactly the symptoms she has. C. didn't tell the doctor in the ER that she had started on birth control two days ago, probably because she was too busy vomiting and blacking out. I didn't tell him because I didn't know about it. I called up the hospital and informed the nurse, but they've been giving her drugs all day long without realizing she was on medication.

Jesus fucking christ almighty people!

Look. I'm a lesbian. My sex life currently is on par with that of a cloistered nun. My straight friends (read: all my friends) are fucking like goddamned bunnies and I know more about their health and safety risks than they do. This is a really fucked up scenario. I can get away without knowing shit about birth control. You straight girls can't. Please please please please PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF. You can read, can't you?

So go read:
Planned Parenthood
Birth Control
Safe Sex and Sexually Transmitted Diseases

4 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Is she going to be okay? That's really, really scary...

And yeah, information is power. We take the ability to read for granted, but just the links you provided can change everything...

L

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

I think she'll be okay. She was talking and able to walk yesterday, but I don't really know. I'm just glad I found out about this, though I wish I had known it sooner, because otherwise they would have sent her home and she would have kept taking the birth control and probably get worse. I just can't believe she was so fucking stupid. The girl can research a senior-level art history thesis but she can't research safe sex? It took me all of three seconds to find that info.

I've had a really really fucking shitty week to begin with, and this is just too much. I've had it. I'm sick of dealing with all this bullshit.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, maybe this will make you feel better...my love life is just as dry as yours...and I'm freaking ENGAGED!! LOL!
~Kinney

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Well, they discharged her this morning but now she's feeling sick again, so I'm not sure if we'll have to take her back to the hospital or not. The doctor isn't sure if it's the birth control that's the problem or not, but I still think she was really stupid.

Anyway, Cinders, I think your daughter's pretty lucky to have such a cool mom ;-)

Sigh. Is it next semester yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home