Tuesday, July 20, 2004

a quick succession of busy nothings

About the only rule I have for myself when it comes to reading is that I never force myself to finish a book I'm not enjoying. It's a hard rule for me to follow, because I hate, absolutely HATE leaving a book unfinished. I've got a nasty stubborn streak in me and it tends to turn reading into an antagonistic battle of wills between me and the book: Goddamnit, I'm gonna finish this thing even if it kills me! And it's just not worth it. I'm not learning anything from the book, I'm certainly not enjoying it, it's just a big waste of time. Occasionally finishing something out of pure spite will pay off, like with Moby-Dick or Thomas Hardy, but that's pretty rare for the most part. All this is to say that I'm giving up on The Waves. A writer at the Green Man Review said in this week's issue: "I maintain that some books come to us in their own times, when we are ready most to enjoy or find enlightenment in their pages." Which is something I believe as well. It's the right book, but the wrong time. Next time I have to spend ten hours on a plane I'll know not to attempt to read experimental Modernist fiction.
Happily, however, I've finally found a book I know I'm going to thoroughly enjoy: Tom Jones. By the second chapter I had fallen madly in love with Mr. Fielding. I got Hornblower During the Crisis from the library finally, so expect thoughts on the first three books in the series in the near future.

Blogroll update: Mags of Tilney and Trapdoors has started Austenblog, for all your Janeite news. Lots of info on the new Pride and Prejudice movie; I can't decide if I'm excited about it or not. They've cast Keira Knightley as Elizabeth. Maybe, just maybe this will give her the opportunity to show off some acting skills, but I'm not holding my breath.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you like the blog, dahlink. I'm excited because of Judi Dench, and because it's Jane, and more Jane can't be bad. Can it?

I forced myself to finish PORTRAIT OF A LADY and felt rather taken in, much like Catherine Morland must have felt when she found out what was behind the black veil. I thought, "it has to get better," and kept soldiering on. It didn't get better and I actively hated the ending.

Mags

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Yeah, it seems like they're trying to make up for casting KK by filling the supporting roles with fabulous actors. I wonder who they got for Mr. Bennet? If KK can hold her own against Judi Dench I will be greatly surprised. But bad/mediocre Jane is better than no Jane at all.

Still, would it kill 'em to do a decent NA??

Anyway, if you hated POL the novel, stay far away from the movie. I love them both, but almost in spite of themselves. Sometimes I have wierd taste though.

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lord. I did see the movie. It's even weirder than NA1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home