Saturday, February 28, 2004

Oh, what a Henry!

I came up with this during a bout of silliness. I didn't write it so much as rip off a Dead White Guy. So, without further ado:

Upon Tilney's Clothes
(shamelessly stolen from Robert Herrick)

Whenas in greatcoats my Henry goes,
Then, then, methinks, how sweetly flows
The innumerable capes of his clothes.

Next, when I cast mine eyes, and see
That smart top hat, boots to the knee,
Oh, how that vision taketh me!

Powerful stuff, huh? Now you can all say you knew me when.
Okay, I know it's crazy, but there's a song by Lucinda Williams that makes me think of Northanger Abbey.

Louisiana man with a style his own,
Not like some other men I've known,
With his cowboy boots and his hats he wore so well


Am I the only one who thinks "Louisiana Man" is about a cowboy Henry Tilney?

You know you're a Janeite when you find Austen references in country music.

*****
New links!

Duirwaigh Gallery is mythic/fantasy art gallery, with plans to become an artists' retreat. I could spend hours on hours here, it's just an incredible collection. It has a section for artist Kinuko Craft, who has painted covers for numerous fantasy books, as well as for one of the Jane Austen mysteries (is it the seventh?). Make sure you check out their trailer.

The Amazon Bookstore Cooperative is the oldest feminist bookstore in the country. Wish I lived in Minneapolis.

See, that's the kind of thing I want to do when I grow up. Own a Feminist Fantasy independent bookstore, or something like that. I'd gleefully refuse to sell Piers Anthony (oh, just wait till I get to that book entry. Hell hath no fury like a feminist bookworm).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home