Sunday, April 30, 2006

holy crap

I just saw a busker playing fiddle tunes while standing on a tight rope.

I had half a mind to go buy a hat just so I could take it off to him. Instead I took a picture and gave some change.

Bath is lovely (though sadly lacking in dyke bars). It somehow manages to be highly touristy without being completely annoying. Yesterday was Jane's Day, I took the walking tour, did the JA Centre, even had tea in the Regency Rooms (totally winced as I ordered "Tea with Mr. Darcy"--god Janeites are so fucking corny--but I hadn't had lunch and sandwiches, scones, and two kinds of cake sounded great). It occured to me during all this that I would probably totally horrify Jane Austen, if I ever meet up with her in the afterlife. But she'd win in the end by making me a ridiculous secondary character in a new novel, and I'd love her for it.

Tomorrow I'm on to Glastonbury, for May Day (with any luck). Should be interesting. Then on to Cardiff, meet up with the folks of Mind the Gap!

6 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it's too late to tell you to walk up Gay Street (um, no pun intended, really) from the JA Centre and look for the dental surgery on the same side. That's the house where Jane Austen actually lived on that street. But the "real" JA Pilgrimage Site is, of course, 4 Sydney Place. I went twice just to stare at it. I want to buy it when I win the lottery.

What did you think of the JA Centre? For me, I thought it was kind of a waste. It's better for newer Janeites. Once you've read a few bios, they're not going to tell you anything there that you don't already know. I liked the bookstore, though, and I've heard good things about the tearooms. Must check those out next time. Twee, definitely. :-)

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally jealous!!!!!!

-nicotinefreegirl

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Mags: Oh I didn't miss the dental surgery or Sydney Place! I even went and hung out in Sydney Gardens and tried to picture her walking there. The JA Centre is definitely for newbies, I'm glad I didn't pay full price (you get a discount if you go on the tour. The tour was a mixed bag; lots of stuff I already knew, but it was nice having a local guide, and I did learn some interesting new stuff).
The tea, though corny, was great. And I picked up a bag of Jane Austen Blend on my way out (is there a "grinning sheepishly" emoticon?)
I've been this close to buying Carol Shield's JA bio, like five thousand times. I want I want!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Winter said...

Are you going to drink the Jane Austen blend or keep it as a souvenir?

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

oooh, i like carol shields a lot and kind of felt like a nerd for it. have you read any of her fiction?

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Winter: of course I'm going to drink it! While reading/watching Jane Austen. Cause I'm a dork.

Reasonably: Actually I've never read Shields, I'm just intrigued by this book because it looks pretty different from the usual JA bio stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home