Wednesday, March 15, 2006

for maija, from finland, country of continuous

sunshine lovely she is
brilliant i-n-t-o-x-i-c-a-t-i-n-g breeze
from another world entirely un-
important are love poems?
when all around us global death death death
suffering dollars dictators struck down
infants shrunken to bone
are any notions of love not idle
with all this?
brilliant and sensitive she has
wonderful hands her mouth when she speaks
is oh...
how important i mean
is one woman's embarrassed frenzy for another?
concealed, nurtured in private
considering iraq, love poems important?
life nearly crushed out of an entire people
warfare raging, people paying with their blood?
their blood?
romance is bourgeois product of
consumer culture love irrelevant?
wonderful eyes and witty witty witty wow how she
drops her definite articles accents odd syllables smiles
her prepositions off in? at? how you say?
her words her voice so lush
and her mouth when she speaks
is oh!
Giovanna Janet Capone

7 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger HB said...

Beautiful! Do you know when the poem is written? And where? I tried to google this poem, but couldn't find it.

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

Yeah I love this poem! I'm not sure if it's actually been published; it's in my 2006 Wemoon datebook: http://www.wemoon.ws/

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger HB said...

Ok, thanks :-)

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, wow. I'm the author of this poem, and I was quite happily surprised to see it being admired and discussed on this web site. However, you did change my stanza structure! The corect stanza structure is printed in the We'Moon calendar, 2006. But still I'm happy to see you enjoyed the poem. I live in Oakland, California. I can be reached by email at: gcapone@oaklandlibrary.org
I have lots of other published stuff, poetry, fiction, and non-fiction. Thanks again for your interest in my work.
- Giovanna Capone

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a passionate heart this very gifted poet has ! I know her well, and want to say, YOU GO GIRL !!!! Love You,Cotton Candy

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Giovanna Capone said...

Well thanks Miss L.! You're very kind. And on what insomniac night did you post this comment, dear one?....Giovanna Capone

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing poet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home