Wednesday, September 14, 2005

conundrum

okay. I have a place to live (I got an email containing those magical words, "chez vous"); I have a crazy ass train ticket from Paris to Challons to Verdun (that was an adventure. I'm already annoyed with the natives and I'm not even in the damn country yet. The lady on the phone acted like I was an idiot because I didn't know that I had to take the subway from Charles de Gaul airport to the station downtown. Well excuuuuse me. Fucking Parisians.) But I'm still facing the biggest obstacle: what books do I take with me to France?
There's only one that's absolutely going with me on the plane, Life Mask. But I can't seem to stop myself from involuntarily adding more to the list, like Colette, and Sanditon by Another Lady, cause I'm gonna need some comfort food through that first month of culture shock (oooh, Byatt was really good for that, last time! damn), and then there are all my pagan books, there's no way I can ask my mom to ship them over to me (no I'm not out about all that yet. One thing at a time). And then, what if I get a hankering for some fantasy or sci-fi in the next week or so? Maybe I should take Child of the Prophecy and finish up the Sevenwaters Trilogy finally. And then there are all those French books I bought last summer and didn't read...and I've been wanting to start on Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's letters forever...
It's like all 50+ of the books I own and haven't read yet are sitting there looking at me with big puppy dog eyes, saying "Don't leave me! Take me with you!"
But I know from experience that a couple of paperbacks weigh a lot more than you'd think, and there's no way I'm lugging a backpack full of books around France again.
I'm a light traveller in every respect except books (poetry!! shit!! which anthology should I take???); combined with my chronic indeciveness, it's a problem.

1 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger JaneFan said...

Lady Mary Wortley Montagu rocks!! I was just amazed when I read her poem "The Lover" as a freshman in undergrad. It manages to sound both lofty and down to earth at once--one woman's declaration of the qualities she seeks in a mate, upon which she is unwilling to compromise. And of love the part about the chicken--It's such a random detail...
Have a safe trip to France!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home