Monday, March 27, 2006

two totally unrelated posts for the price of one

Être une femme, c'est déjà être militante. Je milite à ma façon. Je suis fière d'être une femme, parfois en guerre. Nina Bouraoui, interview, La Dixiéme Muse, No. 16 Sept/Oct 2005

To be a woman is to be militant. I'm militant in my own way. I'm proud to be a woman at war.
Have I mentioned how much I love Nina Bouraoui? And that she's stunningly beautiful on top of being politically poetic? I'm a quarter of the way through Mes mauvaises pensées and I could just...I don't know...cry from happiness. That sounds hyperbolic, and I guess it is, but she's done what even Colette couldn't: she broke through The Wall and gave me French literature. Her style is deceptively simple, flowing stream-of-conciousness, gathering me up and sweeping me along in a rush of sounds and images. In one of her essays Jeanette Winterson talks about how literature, to be Art, must bring back visions, how the novel must evolve beyond plot into poetry, how it should open up new realities. I never, never thought I'd be able to experience that with French books. I thought at best I'd be able to hack through a Maigret mystery or a translation of Harry Potter. But I wandered around the bookstore downtown yesterday and realized I had a whole new library of words to play in. I want to write her a thank you note or something.

*******
Dear Globe Theater Company,
Could you possibly start your theatrical season a bit earlier? Like, late April? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE? Pretty please? With a cherry on top? Cause my guide book says you don't start giving performances till mid-May and I hope to be somewhere in Scotland by that point. I studied literature, I eat and sleep literature, you can't possibly expect me to go to London and NOT see a performance of the Bard at The Globe. I went there for a high school trip once, and couldn't even take a tour of it, there was performance on and I just stood outside, wistfully trying to catch some stray dialogue. You can't do that to me again, okay? Have a heart. I don't care what you put on, I'll sit in the cheap nosebleed section and watch Henry the Umpteenth, Part 45, I'll even watch Troilus and Cressida (which, after all, does have that bit where Patroclus is accused of being Achilles' "man-whore"), anything at all, just do me this one teensy favor and I'll sell you my soul and sign the contract in blood, if you want. Deal?
Andygrrl

3 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger JaneFan said...

hmm, Looks like Coriolanus opens 5 May, and they also have some readings and lectures going on throughout April & May. Here is the schedule:
http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/navigation/framesetNS.htm

Even if you're not there for a show, they are open every day for tours. The tour that goes to the Rose theatre site is especially good because you get a walk around the Bankside area, and also visit the actual Globe site (now apartments).
I spent a lot of time (and money) at the Globe when I was in London, at is was my favorite part of the trip. I saw the all female production of Much Ado. I know it's not the same, but they have very good photo postcards of that production at the gift shop. The makeup & costumes rocked!

BTW, if you do see a show, I highly recommend going groundling. The actual seats are uncomfy wooden boards. Standing down in front is more comfortable and the view is better, plus the actors really play to the crowd. Also if it rains on you, you can say you had the full groundling experience!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger JaneFan said...

p.s. yard tickets (standing) are also way cheaper than anything else-- only 5 pounds, versus 15 pounds for the next cheapest (which are pretty crummy views).

Good Luck!!!

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

ooh, thanks for the tips! and the link!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home