Monday, December 13, 2004

Because I ought to be studying

and because this meme never gets old for me.

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 23.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.

Indeed, he said, I am strongly of opinion that they ought not to hear that sort of thing. Plato, busily banishing poets from The Republic. Critical Theory Since Plato, 3rd edition, ed.Hazard Adams (now that is a cool name) and Leroy Searle.

I'm also being unproductive by listening to the Beatles' Let It Be album, finishing Book XVI of Tom Jones, and reading Yeat's "The Lake Isle of Innisfree", which is my poetic equivalent of comfort food.


I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

I once heard a recording of Yeats reading it; usually I avoid listening to poets reading their work, because the opening lines of Prufrock have been forever ruined for me, but Yeats has this rich, sonorous Irish voice, like ocean waves.

I'm also watching bunnies act out "It's Wonderful Life" in 30 seconds, and laughing my butt off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home