Monday, December 13, 2004

End-of-the-year meme

All my papers are done, and I have nothing to do but pack and do a bit of studying for finals. Hence all the posting.


1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?

Dear god, I don't even know where to start. Participated in political protests. Ate sushi and octopus. Started drinking (moderately, don't worry). Traveled around a foreign country. And lots of other things besides.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

About the only resolution I ever make is to not buy any more books until I finish the ones I already have. I failed to keep it this year, and I will fail to keep it next year I'm sure.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No, but my aunt and uncle adopted their fourth from Korea.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My grandmother, in July. When I go I don't want to go like that, sickly, pitied, and not much loved.

5. What countries did you visit?

France.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?

Quite a lot. A job, if nothing else.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

April 25. The March for Women's Lives in D.C. There were lots of other Big Important Moments but their specific dates don't really matter.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Besides coming out and not having the sky fall, finding my place here, with a good group of friends.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Do we really want to get into that again?

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

nope.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Well I haven't read it yet, but I'm betting Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell will be my best purchase. Either that or Byatt's Little Black Book of Stories.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My friend's. And my parents', they've been trying really hard.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Well my brother proved himself worthy of the name Shithead. And heck, she ain't reading this anyway, so L. I can't believe I got dumped for a man. How cliche is that. And she didn't even have the guts to be frank with me.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Books, where else?

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Not much, really. I think I spent most of this year in a mild state of panic.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?

"Are You Gonna Be My Girl?", Jet. Just the first thing that popped into my head.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
both and neither. Wiser, I hope.
b) thinner or fatter? thinner, I think, which is not good. I haven't been eating or sleeping well.
c) richer or poorer? about the same.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

I wish I'd taken more risks. Which surprises me.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Crying. I don't think I've cried so much in my life as I have this year; I'm usually too stoic for my own good. I don't even cry at funerals.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

With The Clan, looking after the little ones, as I always do.

21. Did you fall in love in 2004?

No. Believe it or not.

22. How many one-night stands?

Ha. Aha. That would be funny if it weren't depressing.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

The Daily Show.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

Shithead. But I don't really hate him, I'm just very unhappy with him.

25. What was the best book you read?

Sugar and Other Stories, A.S. Byatt.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Meav

27. What did you want and get?

Friends.

28. What did you want and not get?

Sanity. Stability. Some sense of direction.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?

A toss up between Les Choristes and The Watermelon Woman

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

22. I did nothing at all, which was very nice, and I bought Melissa Etheridge's new CD against my better judgement. That's what I get for shopping based on sexual orientation.

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Some sort of queer community would have been really great. I'm fucking tired of isolation.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?

Wow, I really don't put that much thought into my fashion choices. But these last few months have totally revolved around the Big-Ass Dyke Boots.

33. What kept you sane?

Poetry. Written words are the only thing that ever keeps me alive.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

How much time have you got? Rachel Stirling, Jena Malone, Scarlett Johansen, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Keira Knightley, Parminder Nagra, Cate Blanchett, Sophia Myles.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

The election.

36. Who did you miss?

L. S., my oldest friend. I came out to her over the summer and I haven't heard from her since. And K., but I'll get to see her over break I think.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

J and R. My feminist gals.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004

Take risks, even though they won't pay off. Be as honest and genuine as you can, even though it will bite you in the ass later.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year

Actually, I think Ferlinghetti's "The World is a Beautiful Place" is best; it's got a bit of a "Life sucks and then you die" attitude, which is not actually where I'm at, but the contrast of simple joys and relentless sorrows is pretty acurate.

The World Is a Beautiful Place
The world is a beautiful place
to be born into
if you don't mind happiness
not always being
so very much fun
if you don't mind a touch of hell
now and then
just when everything is fine
because even in heaven
they don't sing
all the time

The world is a beautiful place
to be born into
if you don't mind some people dying
all the time
or maybe only starving
some of the time
which isn't half bad
if it isn't you

Oh the world is a beautiful place
to be born into
if you don't much mind
a few dead minds
in the higher places
or a bomb or two
now and then
in your upturned faces
or such other improprieties
as our Name Brand society
is prey to
with its men of distinction
and its men of extinction
and its priests
and other patrolmen

and its various segregations
and congressional investigations
and other constipations
that our fool flesh
is heir to

Yes the world is the best place of all
for a lot of such things as making the fun scene
and making the love scene
and making the sad scene
and singing low songs and having inspirations
and walking around
looking at everything
and smelling flowers
and goosing statues
and even thinking
and kissing people and
making babies and wearing pants
and waving hats and
dancing
and going swimming in rivers
on picnics
in the middle of the summer
and just generally'living it up'
Yes
but then right in the middle of it
comes the smiling
mortician

1 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fun wrap up the year post...Immna steal it!
~Kinney

 

Post a Comment

<< Home