Wednesday, November 03, 2004

bugger

Well. The presidential pissing contest is over, and it's official. Bush's cock really is bigger than Kerry's! (There's a Bush/Dick joke in there somewhere but I haven't the heart to find it).

I was expecting this. I knew it was coming. And I'm still so furious I can barely see straight (pun intended). All the lefty political bloggers have been saying "Calm down, it's not the end of the world, don't despair, there's still reason to hope!" And I agree with them. They've got very valid points. But right now I'm one fucking rage-filled dyke. I have half a mind to write a Queer Nation I Hate Straights diatribe. I think I could dissolve into sputtering foaming at the mouth incoherency at any moment. Cover your ears for the next day or so, I feel a profanity-laden dish-smashing rant coming on.

On the bright side, when I asked Canada to marry me the other day, she said yes.

2 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know, I don't think that the diatribe path is really going to lead anywhere good anyway... you know, the thing that bothers me about the Queer Nation one is that it's so full of invective, so divisive...straight people are not 'the enemy'. Though yes, one does not ask for rights, one demands them - would MLK Jr. have gotten anywhere saying 'please'? But yet he did not say 'whites are the enemy'...

I have been ruminating over democracy right now and how maybe it isn't always the best thing in the world. Who would have voted to end segregation? Who will vote for gay marriage? ...sometimes someone needs to come in and say This Is The Way It Will Be because this is right and the status quo is morally wrong, and then the country will have to follow suit. Is that elitist? (...do I care?)

Hmmm....
-L

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

We read that essay in Queer Theory a few weeks ago and a lot of people said the same thing (I'll never get over the irony that I'm the token lesbian even in Queer Theory class...). You're right, it does alienate a lot of straight people and isn't particularly "helpful." But I think that's the point. Queer people aren't supposed to be angry. We're supposed to be the funny sidekick who redecorates your house. We're supposed to be grateful for whatever scraps straight society deigns to throw us. Like how I'm supposed to go out of my way to show how thankful I am that my family hasn't disowned me outright. For christ's sake, they're my *family*, my membership isn't supposed to be conditional! You don't get bonus points for doing what you're supposed to do in the first place. Queer Nation is saying fuck that. We can bow and scrape and say pretty please all day long, and where has it got us? They're trying to get straight people to recognize their heterosexual priviledge and to wake up complacent queers (::cough::Log Cabin Republicans::cough::). All 11 states that had gay marriage bans on the ballot approved them (even Oregon). This is my *life* they're playing with here, I can't afford to fuck around with niceties just so some straight people don't get their feelings hurt. Like you said, you can't ask for your rights. You take them.
I'm not saying that radical queer nationalism is better than more moderate attempts like Human Rights Campaign, etc. You need both. Every liberation movement needs their MLK *and* their Malcom X.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home