Saturday, October 30, 2004

The Raven

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door-
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door-
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore.
"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore-
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."


the rest of the poem

It wouldn't be Halloween without a little Poe. In high school my friends and I made a video of "The Tell-Tale Heart," complete with heart-beat sound effects. I got to play the murderer, slicked my hair back and really chewed the scenery, pounding on the floor and shrieking:"Villains! Dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of his hideous heart!" Great fun.

*Edited to add: Check out this book trailer for Coraline, made by some Italian film students.

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY for Edgar Allen Poe! And yay for making videos where you are a deranged killer!
~Katie

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Andygrrl said...

LOL! That was so much fun, wasn't it? I wonder if Amanda still has the tape, I'd love to see it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home