Saturday, January 31, 2004

Well, hi folks. Here I am, jumping onto the blogging bandwagon. I'm Anne, a queer Janeite with a passion for books. I've kept a hand-written book journal for over two years now, and so now I've decided to keep a book blog. We'll see how it goes. I'm new to this blogging thing. I have ecletic tastes--fantasy, sci-fi, non-fiction, poetry, even romance novels--so I'll be reading a little bit of everything. I'll be posting enteries from my old, handwritten journals as well. Not necessarily as they were written. And I'll ramble a bit on this and that as well.
Currently reading:
The Mysteries of Udolpho, Ann Radcliffe
The Vintage Book of International Lesbian Fiction, ed. Naomi Holoch and Joan Nestle
Red as Blood (or, Tales from the Sisters Grimmer), Tanith Lee
The Cooper's Wife is Missing: The Trials of Bridget Cleary, Joan Hoff and Marian Yeates The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson, ed. Rachel Wetzsteon

My project this year is to read only women writers (excluding what I read for class). I'm an English major, so I like theory, but everything I read here is for pleasure, so it will be pretty subjective; no academic jargon, for the most part.

I probably should explain the title, of this blog, while I'm at it. The phrase "busy nothings" is from Jane Austen's novel Mansfield Park, Ch. 10 specifically:

Dinner was soon followed by tea and coffee, a ten miles’ drive home allowed no waste of hours; and from the time of their sitting down to table, it was a quick succession of busy nothings till the carriage came to the door...

Patricia Rozema uses the phrase in her generally reviled adaptation, when she has Fanny Price say:

Life seems nothing more than a quick succession of busy nothings.


I'm one of the few Janeites (i.e., a person who adores Jane Austen) who actually likes this adaptation, despite the fact that it pretty much butchers the novel. My massive crush on Frances O'Connor and Sophia Myles probably has something to do with it. What can I say, it's a guilty pleasure.

Anyway, bear with me as I learn my way around blogging. I hope you guys enjoy my book journal as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home